Thursday, August 14, 2008

to be a superpower or not to be ...

She asked me what I thought about the country of Georgia - I did not want to start WWIII with her (she is new & I don't know her that well) and she doesn't want WWIII globally I understand but I am a fighter and especially for the underdog. So you can guess what I really think! So because she asked me something like this without knowing what it might stir up, I thought I would try to ask a question - to do a bit of research on the side... Here is the burning question I posed to her:

"Is the USA a superpower?"

"Not anymore. We used to be but no so anymore."

"Do we need to be a superpower?"

"Yes, we do!"

"Why?"

"To protect ourselves."

"So we aren't here to rule the world?"

"No."

I am doing a bit of research because of a conversation a while back that I don't remember to much about but I do remember how I felt. It is definitely a feeling of being misunderstood as an American by an Australian but most likely what most of the world feels about us. This Australian shared a Kingdom view with me and still felt this way... I wish I could give him my findings.

I know there is going to be all kinds of answers to these questions. But for the most part I am bitting on that most Americans are going to what to be a superpower for the purpose of self protection and for protecting of others even if they have a worldly view.

Personally I do not like to view the US as a superpower because that is not what our purpose is. I have always felt the history echo forward. Our greatest strengths is faith, creativity, and the love of the underdog. We are not conventual and young at heart. Unfortunately, we are bit loud which causes a bit target on our backs. Down in the very depths of me is a fighter. Always will be. I will defend at all costs. ... {jumps down from soapbox & fades out of view}

No comments:

Post a Comment