Friday, June 16, 2006

Tuesdays with Corey ...

My little bro has found a way to reach out with love to Robin and Martin as well to Rusty and Corey through 'Acts of Service' topped with 'Quality Time'. As I have prayed in my car rides to work and back I have upheld this family in my KingdomMail. But as I pray for Corey, tears well up. Why can't my interceedings for Corey be like my others for the family?

Corey has a rare disease where sugar eats his brain. This was so rare it took a while to figure it out. Corey is living longer than most like him. What I do know after working with severe needs kids is that in them is a simplicity we all long for. We rush too much so when you take time to be in the presence of God's special people every thing unimportant fades...

G r e e t i n g s ,

I went and spent the day with Corey and Robin (mom) today (tues, jun 13).  I will be taking care/watching Corey on Tuesdays and every other Friday as of now.  By the end of our time today Corey was beinging to warm up to me.  I think everything will go okay. The hardest part is going to be bathroom time, as he will need to trust me to help him, and him wanting to eat all of the time and I have to be careful with the amount of food I feed him. Robin will have everything ready for me concering what he is to eat and the amount, he just constantly is asking for a snack or saying "are you hugary?"  I think we are going to have a great time together.  We can watch Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, draw, play cars, work on small puzzles, swing, ride in the "cruiser" (wheel chair), there is a modified bike where I would ride and pedal and he sits in a seat behind the bike, he loves on go onrides in the car....

I was talking with Robin about how I should create a buisness where I would help families that are in similar situations or help families who do not know what to do, but want to keep their disabled child at home.  Robin has modified their home so that Corey can be safe there and they can live without being in fear that he could get into something and really hurt himself.  The frig is locked, cabinets are locked, bedroom doors are locked as well as doors to the outside, Robin wears keys around her neck as well as her husband when he is home, they have gates built into their kitchen that keeps him to one side so that he is not hear the stove or appliances....

I like having someone to take care of.  Corey is doing really well right now, gaining weight back.  Today he said his full name and was able to spell it out loud and he was able to count up to at
least 12.  He worked on a puzzle and was able to fit some pieces without help.  It will be fun working on these things with him too!!!!

~Jo


update on Rusty & his family

No comments:

Post a Comment