Sunday, June 25, 2006

to learn Navajo ...

I love my brain and I would love to keep it in top shape. I heard that the approaching 40 is a time of middle age memory loss or forgetfulness. Yikes! Keeping the brain nimble through learning a language is to safeguard it.

I love words and learning a language has always had an appeal to it. I learned Spanish in school though not at all fluent. I love hearing a certain latin singer sing his love songs; makes my heart weak =). I have taught sign langauge to myself somewhat thought out my life and need to get back to it. Learning and collecting languages makes the understanding of your first language much richer and deeper.

Why Navajo?
First, because I have a great friend from my college days who is Navajo. I have caught her saying a Navajo name with me and it is time to discover her language. Second, American English has millions upon millions of words. If I don't like one word ( happens a lot ) , all I have to do is look up another more suited in that wonderful Thesaurus. However with Navajo, the words are more lean with incompassing depth. Quite different than most languages.

my new plan?
I have a list of verses that I keep close to protect my journey. I want to learn these verses in Sign, Spanish, and Navajo. What better way to keep my mind on Thee?

No comments:

Post a Comment