Saturday, September 20, 2008

interferences & winning performances ...

As I watched the American girl beach volleyball game at the Olympics where it was raining hard, I couldn't help but think that if you really want to win this you have to train not just the game rules and basics but you got to go beyond and train in wacky elements like rain.  I also heard that Phelps' coach had messed with his goggles in training to get Phelps to go beyond the safe stuff.  Then in one of his matches, Phelps' goggles began to fill up with water!  Did he let that stop him?  Nope, just another gold metal.  

I came across a formula in the Quiet Leadership book that goes like this: 'performance=potential-interference'.  When I took on this present job that was basically an unknown world to me, I did a lot of leaning into or a better word is striving.  I went for all I was worth trying to learn hard and fast which caused more pain and more frustration.  When I read a verse in Proverbs where God has striving was wrong did I begin to understand interference!  I was causing myself to fall apart and my learning was hindered.  See, I was over compensating as a way to not let interference into my approach.  This was my first learning.

My second learning of interference is that when things begin to mess me up, I need to label it quick as interference and get to training!  If a winner trains in all kinds of elements, then shouldn't I?  Why should I let interferences get in my way?  I use to look at that equation as interferences had no part in performance or in giving your best.  But I could not get away from problems, hurdles, and challenges.  All I could come up with is within a football (American) picture where you have a football guy tackling the other football guy to keep the QB safe.  Like my girl description?  No matter what there will always be interferences.  It is what you do with them that will determine your performance whether it be winning or losing.  

Training for interferences is the first mindset and then removing them to finish up makes for your potential to shine as well as your character.  All that you are left with is a winning performance!  I like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment