Saturday, February 17, 2007

corn flour ...

A week past I was googling for recipes involving corn meal. I stumbled upon 'corn flour'. In all of my years I never knew what this was. You could not find in the local grocery store until recently because of the large popluation of latinos that are here now.

I am very hesitant when anything says flour because the first thing you think is flour from wheat. But rest asured, corn flour is made from corn. Corn flour is starchy which is good for baking. So I will be trying to bake some of my old favorites. I did try my favorite lemon bread with corn flour and oat flour. It isn't as sweet as what regular people would like, but it is soft and rises like a bread or cake should. I will try again when I can find agave.

Anyway back to the original reason I found and bought the corn flour for...
I wanted to make my own corn torilla! Wednesday I tried but when I rolled it out, it wanted to crack. You are suppose to use plastic. I tried plastic wrap and to get it as thin as you are suppose to, it stuck and would not come off. Then I tried tinfoil. Nope, same problem. I even used the bottom of the bowl to press it out. Again, a mess. I used pressed out in my hands as far as it would with out cracking. I fried them. Nothing like what you get in the store. The recipe did talk about a torilla press. I didn't know where I was going to get one.

Today on my mac apple run, I found a torilla press right there at Martins (neighorhood grocery store)! I got it. I tried it this afternoon. It worked. It did not work because I had a press but it worked because there was a thick piece of plastic for you to use in the press. I had perfect round corn torilla's that came off the plastic just so. I am keeping that plastic as long as I can. Very hard to find plastic thick like that. I am one happy girl right now. Finally, some working out right with my food allergies. I had my egg mcmuffin wrapped in a corn torilla. Now when mom has to have her homemade pizza's, she can without excluding me!

A note about my food allergys:
Is it going ok? Well, no .. because there has been a year long focus on foods, I seemed to be obsessed with keeping my foods around me. I have a tummy that is mad at me and I have the munchies because I just do. Not good. Then my own family finds it difficult to cook for me. Dad made the family favorite, chilli. He changed the beans so I could eat it. What he forgot was not to use the chilli powder. I had a spinach salad when I went out with Mom and Dad and the next day Mom is making me a salad asking me what I can have and not have. Well, not the lettuse! They can't win! Mom is always wanting pizza whenever she needs a quick meal when all of us are home!

I keep trying to make this work. I think winter eating is hard because I go to food to keep me warm .... The munchies is there because I am bothered even though I am joyful. My middle is bloated and very fussy. I just need to relax and let go...

No comments:

Post a Comment