Saturday, September 09, 2006

irwinisms ...

on crocs & his passion :
Because when they strike it can be that quick that if they're within range, you're dead, you're dead in your tracks. And his head weighs more than my body so it's WHACK!

But I put my life on the line to save animals.

Crikey means gee whiz, wow!

Crikey, mate. You're far safer dealing with crocodiles and western diamondback rattlesnakes than the executives and the producers and all those sharks in the big MGM building.

Every cent we earn from Crocodile Hunter goes straight back into conservation. Every single cent.

I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message.

I get called an adrenaline junkie every other minute, and I'm just fine with that.

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.

I'm a proud Australian, a very, very proud Australian.

I've probably saved thousands of peoples' lives with my educational message on snake bites, how to get in around venomous anything.

My belief is that what comes across on the television is a capture of my enthusiasm and my passion for wildlife.

My dad taught me from my youngest childhood memories through these connections with Aboriginal and tribal people that you must always protect people's sacred status, regardless of the pest.

Sharks, I've been self-trained as well, and crocodiles, naturally. I've been catching them since I was nine. No problem.

Since I was a boy, from this house, I was out rescuing crocodiles and snakes. My mum and dad were very passionate about that and, I was lucky enough to go along.

Snakes are just very instinctive to me. I've been playing with snakes since before I could walk. It doesn't matter where or what it is, from the biggest to the most venomous.

So fear helps me from making mistakes, but I make lot of mistakes.

That might have a lot to do with it, but you know, I probably don't show fear, but I suffer from fear like everyone else.

The first crocodile I ever caught was at nine years of age, and it was a rescue.

The only animals I'm not comfortable with are parrots, but I'm learning as I go. I'm getting better and better at 'em. I really am.

There's a lot of research behind the scenes that you don't get to see, but I have an instinct that my dad nurtured from when I was born. I was very lucky then.

When I talk to the camera, mate, it's not like I'm talking to the camera, I'm talking to you because I want to whip you around and plunk you right there with me.

Where I live if someone gives you a hug it's from the heart.

Yeah, for some reason parrots have to bite me. That's their job. I don't know why that is. They've nearly torn my nose off. I've had some really bad parrot bites.

Yeah, I'm a thrill seeker, but crikey, education's the most important thing.

You know, I'm Australian, and we have got the worst sense of humor. We are cruel to each other.
fr: brainyquote.com

—“It is all about perceived danger. In front of that crocodile I was in complete control. Absolute and complete control. That is my profession. I would be considered a bad parent if I didn’t teach my children to be crocodile savvy because they live here, they live in crocodile territory.” — On the 2004 controversy in which he was filmed holding his infant son while feeding a snapping crocodile:

—“To hear people say that it was a publicity stunt, that I’m just like Michael Jackson, well, it just tears me up. It makes me sick to my stomach to be compared in that way.” — On the same incident.

"I've worked with more dangerous snakes than anyone in the world and I've never been bitten. It's a gift."

"It's CROC savin' time!"

"My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it's shaky or slightly out of focus, I don't give a rip!"


Now if I could find his quotes on family and love. Thanks Steve for being a great teacher! OOOps found some goooooood quotes!!!! Here they are!!!

on love:
About Steve's love for Terri: "For all his love of animals, Irwin’s first duty was to his US-born wife, Terri Raines, who appeared by his side from the very first episode of the Crocodile Hunter."
Source: Daily Telegraph

Terri Irwin, about their marriage: "We don't drink, we don't smoke, and we are actually in love and happily married. We love our little girl, we go home to each other at night, and we believe in what we are doing."
Source: Movies at About.com

Steve Irwin, about not wearing a wedding ring: “It’s dangerous. Working with wildlife, there’s always the chance of getting any sort of jewelry hooked up. Not only could I put my own life at risk, but also the animals we work to save. Terri and I love each other very much and she totally understands that in my line of work, I simply cannot wear one. Terri, also, for the same reason doesn’t wear any rings.”
Source: American Profile

Steve Irwin, about love at first sight: "He says that he saw her in the crowd, their eyes met and he forgot all about the croc that was trying to kill him. It was love at first sight and they were engaged four months later."
Source: American Profile

Terri Irwin: I'm the woman in front of the man, you know, behind every great woman there is a great man."
Source: Abc.net.au

Terri Irwin, on love at first sight: "I think because he's the first guy I met that I couldn't chase with a snake. He wasn't scared. It was very attractive. So I met Steve way back in 1991 when I went to Australia Zoo as an innocent tourist coming to Australia, visiting the country, went in and there's this guy in this zoo doing a crocodile demonstration talking about crocs the way I'd never heard before, you know like they're, they're really passionate lovers, wonderful mothers, and he desperately loved crocodiles. And I thought, what is with this guy? And then as he bent over to pick up some food for the croc, I went, what is with this guy? And when I came to Australia and met Steve, here was this like reptile man meets mammal woman, and it was fantastic. We just fell desperately in love."
Source: Abc.net.au

Steve Irwin, about their phone calls after they first met: "It's my turn, and the phone calls were all about, wildlife and lust. I mean we, we fell head over heels in love with each other so we'd quickly talk about wildlife and then the rest was you know, about that."
Source: Abc.net.au
fr: marrage.about.com


back to steve :
wikipedia

I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help.
Australian Story : "What Lies Beneath" (22 September 2003)

If something ever happens to me, people are gonna be like 'we knew a croc would get him!'
Biography for Steven Irwin (II) in The Internet Movie Database

Born a wildlife warrior, die a wildlife warrior.
Radio interview on Radio Alice (KLLC 97.3)

I have a deep-seated respect for parrots. As gifted as I am with all other wildlife, parrots have this uncanny desire to kill me. I'm not sure why, but they're like my kryptonite!
BBC Interview with Anwar Brett for movie "The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course"
wikiquote.org

what fuels my very being

No comments:

Post a Comment