Saturday, September 23, 2006

grape showers ...

Today was full of showers. So I put on my rain coat and went out to grape arbors. Let me tell you what fruit is an ant's favorite! Yup, grapes! They scurried in their little armies putting in a door and maybe a window to set up their little wine tasting shops. I even found one shop dried up and vacant like an old western back lot.

As I picked the movie 'Sideways' came to mind as I thought back over the summer and how it effected the grape. It wasn't overly hot or overly rainy whatever it was, it wasn't really good for the grape or at least not like last year. The arbor on the side has huge Concord grapes. They are a seedy lot and very tart. I picked so many last year I didn't go to the arbor in the back. This year I picked about handful and went to the back yard. Here I found several handfuls of tiny Concord grapes (no seeds!). They made me wish they were blueberries instead. (I love blueberries) No matter I will have some grape juice soon! Mmmmm!

The back arbor faces east and west. With the growth of the grapes all on the western side, grapes like the warm afternoon sun hiding out under the umberella of grape leaves.

I found a perfect brunch of grapes. Yellow green to yellow purple - I looked deeply. I can't wait to paint it! I love how painting has nurtured the awe of nature for me. These yellow grapes where Nieagra (they have seeds) but I didn't pick those because I saw one batch and thought they weren't ripe. Bummer, but I did learn a lot just my taking it all in deeply.

I enjoyed picking the grapes in the rain. I think it is the best way! I didn't feel buggy like you would if there a normal rainless September day. The rain was a soft patter to a steady downpour. It was music to my ears as it patter agaisnt the huge grape leaves and my blue raincoat. Perfect way to 'dance' in the rain as an adult! Grape juice as an reward too!

mad chow : ribs!

No comments:

Post a Comment