Saturday, October 21, 2006

Flicka ...

I would rate this movie a 9.5. It is a great father and daughter must see. It is based on a the book ‘My Girl Flicka.’ (Flicka is a Swedish word for beautiful girl) Not sure why I didn’t read when I was a youngster. I would have related quite well with the conflict of spirits. I read Black Beauty and National Velvet so I love a good horse story. (I’ve been enjoying Barbaro’s real live story. Keep at it Barbaro!) Will have to make sure I read this book.

The best nugget from this story is mustang’s spirit. One of my favorite lines goes something like this ‘along side the cowboy’s footprint was a wild horses’ hoof print that won the west’. Just brilliant!

The story is wound around this wild spirit. (This ache of being fully your wild self without having to answer to a contrived standard.) The father couldn’t see that his own daughter was a wild spirit and would be the right one to carry on the horse farm. It took a wild mustang to carry this young wild girl into her fully wild womanhood. Having his daughter so near to death because she believed in a wild mustang, finally enabled him to take off his blinders so he could embrace his daughter’s force. He had so much love for her. It just was so hard for a young girl to see that love with such her own feistiness getting in the way. (Very typical for all daughters and fathers .. I know first hand { smiles })

I loved how they showed great parenting between mother and father. You could see the strong desire to make sure their children where secure and healthy in character. You don’t see great duo parenting in action much anymore.

It is truly a must see for those girls who are finding out who they are and for parents of young girls. Maybe there can be more of a connection made… and less broken spirits …

A shout out about the brother in the movie - an aussie.

Movie review : the guardian ...

1 comment:

  1. hi there.. enjoyed reading ur posts. by the way, 'flicka' is the swedish word for 'girl'.. not beautiful girl. only girl =)

    ReplyDelete