Thursday, June 12, 2008

stop trying - start training ...

My ears perked when I heard these words. So often I find myself defeated when I can't get it right and this was a piece of wisdom that really nailed it for me.

Training is about getting into God's Word and harboring it in heart and repeating it in your mind when you feel yourself falling backwards into old rutted ways. Training is about learning the self control fruit of the Holy Spirit. It is reconditioning your walk. It is about renewing your mind. Dig into the Word and find the bits of comfort that soothe you. Personally, I like simple phrases that grabbed me and I jot them down on 3x5 card so that I have it handy to memorize. Another little thing I do is when my thoughts stray to the no's in my life when I am trying to focus on the yeses, I mutter aloud or quietly within my mind a verse or a hymn or if all else fails - Psalms 23. Yes, I do a lot of talking to myself {smirks}.

By how often my thoughts stray away, I am dire need of the gym. Pretty much flabby everywhere even for an avid thinker. I have made huge improvements but I have a ways to go. It reminds me of tummy fat - you can be trim everywhere else but the belly holds the padding than a new pillow. In the physical word my arms have a nice contour from lifting 5lbs in each hand. I can lift maybe once a week and arms look good. However, with the stubborn tummy, I could do crunches every day and get no where. Just like my straying thoughts!

I do have to say that on the belly front, I found a crunch that started to do faithfully each day this week (progress!!). It doesn't hurt my back which some do so that is a good start. Maybe I will find a healthier stomach one day and while I am at it, trimmer grey matter too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment