Thursday, January 24, 2008

to disturb a mind ...

I love the movies because I get to get inside a story visually. I love the nuances you can pick up on by the demeanor of the character as well as from his clothes or walk. I love certain actors who can get a character so well that you see the character and not the actor. I get chills when I hear how my favorite actors get into their characters. It is so down right scary how deep they go into and how hard it is to come out of it a.k.a. Joaquin Phoenix when he portrayed Johnny Cash in Walk the Line. I love deep but with deep comes the fine line of dark and keeping from falling into the dark dark blackness... I am deep and have had a very tiny piece of dark. I have grown up around men who are deep and have had a piece of dark- hopefully not as dark as dark can get....

As I have pondered over why actors take on very dark roles, I realized that they do so because we all are human and the tale we all tell is about the good and the dark. They take on these dark roles and we the listeners to these tales begin to feel for the characters. An actor can NOT do his character justice without being able to empathize. That hits very close to me. I feel that I empathize well with others around me and it can leave me in a very bad place where I become less of me and my nerve endings become exposed...

It is sooooo distressing and upsetting to hear the news about Heath Ledger. I loved the Patriot, the Knight's tale, and yes, the 10 Things I hate about you. I heared that he was doing the Joker in the next Batman where he really went to the dark side and to find out that he had been doing some really dark characters.... I get this panic fear inside.

I have had my spell of dark and it was only a little bit then God showed me great Joy. I have been scared straight and scared senseless when loved ones around me begin to tip... Our minds can travel at the speed of light and often in may different directions at once but when you begin to focus in on dark, you can go too far and either fall off by accident or so far out there you can't get back.

We have to condition the mind. Whatever is true, noble, just, pure, lovely, good report, virteous, praiseworthy - THINK ON THESE THINGS. (proverbs 4:8) We must say when.

I am soo sorry and sooo disturbed. My heart goes out to Heath and his family. Empathy is a great gift and a scary one too. Empathy is very much needed in a hurting and broken world. I feel empathy and know it is a gift but I don't know very much on how to use it... I am still learning.... Maybe the lesson here is that human life is fragile and only God can hold all of us together...

Heath, you were a great story teller and had a great smile that reached your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment