Wednesday, January 09, 2008

high waters ...

We had a nice huge snow storm on New Year's. Big snow. Pretty snow - the kind that sticks on trees an inch thick making everything like a big huge winter wonderland. My Dad went out and got some really coooooool pix. I am thinking I need to get copies... They are so beautiful!

It was cooooold too. 8* was the high temp. Now that a week has gone by and a warm up happened. All that snow begun to melt making the earth very soggy. Monday going to work there was lightening spraying across the sullen skies. Monday night cames heavy thick raindrops pelting and beating everything in their path. It was freaky as the tornado watches were in implemented. We are listening to the wind. Is it coming? Looking out the window, the raindrops where huge and flashing silver as they forced themselves 100 miles an hour earthward. Where is all this water going to go??? You just knew there were going to be hign waters everywhere.

My town is a town that has a river running through it with tiny creeks running around. Where ever you go, you cross a small bridge. From past rainfalls you know where the water will collect. You know the park downtown will overflow into the grocery complex. You run through how you are going to get to work - go throught town or risk going through the country. I tried the country and then half way through, I decided to cut back into town. There was water in places I didn't know would collect. What is terrible is that the river won't crest until Thursday and here it was just Tuesday, the day after.

I made myself go through town even though it takes longer and having to deal with slow down areas around the schools make for a very hands on driving. Ugh. But the good side is to see the rivers swollen and brown. It is amazing to see first hand Nature's rhythm. I have a small remembrance back in the 80's where it was just this bad. Today I am collecting these visuals in my memory and wonder if it would ever get worse than this. What would it be like?

I am safe. My place is safe. Parents basement got wet but Mom said the eve drain away was off track... Wonder what it is like now? We always had problems with the wash room side of the basement. A human condition is going around finding out how family and friends fared. It must be like when our Bobby and Andy (family pups) wash their paws after they had a tussle just to make sure what was mussed up is put back into place...

No comments:

Post a Comment