Saturday, August 13, 2005

Depth of The Wedding...

Reading The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks gives you a man's look at how he loses himself in his work and takes his focus off his bride. It shows the reader how much a woman is like a flower needing a gardener's touch. Entering into a relationship with a woman and actually communing together, a man is fed from the beauty of his bride.
'This week, I hadn't been focusing on my problems and doing my best to correct them. This week, I'd been thinking of her; I'd committed myself to helping her with family responsibilities, I'd listen with interest whenever she spoke, and everything we discussed seemed new. I'd laughed at her jokes and held her as she'd cried, apologized for my faults and showed her the affection she both needed and deserved. In other words, I'd been the man she'd always wanted, the man I once had been, and - like an old habit rediscovered - I now understood that it was all I ever needed to do for us to begin to enjoy each other's company again.' ch 12

In the book the main character gets his in-law's house ready for the wedding. A conversation from the next-door neighbor is talking about the transformation of the house.
"Yeah, I'll tell you - it's been a shame watching what's become of it (house) over the last few years. All it ever needed was for someone to care for it again." He put his spectacles back on, smilingly softly. "It's funny, but have you ever noticed that the more special something is, the more people seem to take it for granted? It's like they think it won't ever change. Just like this house here. All it ever needed was a little attention, and it would have never have ended up like this in the first place. "ch 13
Yikes! Interesting how the author uses the house as a metaphor for what the leading man has done to his marriage.

Everytime I go by a run down house, I will be taking stock of my relationships. All we need is togetherness and worth. I want the intimate depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment