Thursday, July 07, 2005

London O London

In my days of youth and calm I got to walk in the streets of London and ride the Tube. Jet lag was not going to stop me from soaking in everything around me. It is like going back and taking out memory-movies remembering the places and the people.

I cherish those days of youth and world travel. Now as terror-weary adult, life is still more precious. I continue to soak in space, experience, and people. My world is smaller and more global. Today I was touched by the calm Brits. I was moved. I wept.

This is the summer of Tolkien for me. England & Brits, I find comfort in the great pen of your author.
(Frodo thinking) But though his fear was so great that it seemed to be part of the very darkness that was around him, he found himself as he lay thinking about Bilbo Baggins and his stories, of their jogging along together in the lanes of the Shire and talking about roads and adventures. There is a seed of courage hidden (often deeply, it is true) in the heart of the fattest and most timid hobbit, waiting for some final and desperate danger to make it grow. ... He (Frodo) thought he had come to the end of his adventure, and a terrible end, but the thought hardened him, He felt himself stiffening, as if for a final spring; he no longer felt limp like a helpless prey. from The Lord of the Rings chapter "Fog on the Barrow-Downs" by Tolkien

I find that the fire stirs in me. I am an impassioned American. Sure I am ticked off but peace and compassion rule my heart. Terror only kicks up resolve to stand up and walk tall.

"The Name of the Lord is a Strong Tower; the righteous run to it & are safe." prov 18:10

"where two or three are gathered..."

No comments:

Post a Comment