Wednesday, July 19, 2006

your persuation within ...

Dear Miss Anne Elliot,
I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone forever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own, than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone I think and plan. - Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? - I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones in that voice, when they would be lost on others. - Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating in
~Captain Frederick Wentworth

I must go , uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow you party, as soon as possible. A word, a look will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.
fr: Jane Austin's Persuation

Boy and girl meet and fall in love. Girl, age 28, decides to take advise of a good married friend and declines boy's hand in marriage (it is the 1800's). Boy goes to the sea and becomes captain of a ship. Boy comes back. Boy and girl find that in their hearts their love for each other secretly burns. They do the glance dance but are afraid that each other has moved on. Happy ending! Boy writes letter and girl indeed makes it known to him of the love she still harbors for him.

I read the book and watched the movie because it was mentioned in the movie Lake House. I was curious to the connection and even more puzzled over the title. However, digging through the definition and drawing the dots in, it came together.

Persuation = influence, point of view, advice, urging, wiles, opinion, arguements, affiliation

When it comes to love, I think it is wise to see your relationship through another eyes .. a well trusted pair of eyes that is! You must be aware of any flaws and be able to live with them. This is a life long commitment or it should be! However, I am seeing that you must take stock of your own persuation. If you are growing in fullness, if you are taking care of yourself, if you are your best friend, your own belief and values should ring true when it comes to love. Take advice from others, but also see it through your eyes. Mix it up! Ask yourself the tough questions. The persuation of your own heart must come through or you will live in turmoil when it comes to life.... Wait! when it comes to anything your life offers! Hold to what is beautiful and true within... and make the decision that brings forth the real you...

No comments:

Post a Comment