Wednesday, July 12, 2006

well rounded education ...

I was having a discussion about education and was enlightened. There are many concerned about America's schools like Bill Gates. With all the cracks our kids are falling through, the solution seems to be modeled after the business world. I loved the improved buildings. I loved the excitement of kids loving the learning process. I have to admit some of the things look great but after seeing it through another's eyes, I am not happy about the direction some are taking.

In one case they are making freshman in high schools declare their course of study. Then they are stuck in that learning track. It is like the business world is selecting out certain qualities and then making them into clones to work without real thought. Talk about discrimination! What happens when you change your mind and want to study something else? What happens if you have an original idea?

Yes, I am all about dreams. Creativity & Art are essential to the inventors that made America great. A well rounded education makes a better thinker than a one track rut into work boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment