Saturday, July 29, 2006

'Tango'

Autism has intrigued me ever since a teenager now a man named Joshua touched my life. He taught me more than I taught him. We pushed his limits and saw him make steps to engage us. I know locked inside him is a brilliant human being. He did open up a bit but I can't help but know for sure that this new communication device will unlock his world as well as for many others. Bravo to Tango.
"My son became my business."

"I feel my life is destined," Ellenson says, smiling sheepishly. "When I left college, my résumé said I wanted to get a job in communications.

"I finally got my job. I've given my son the ability to talk."
~Richard Ellenson, father of Thomas & inventor of Tango
Richard Ellenson's Story
Tango / blink-twice.com
Person of the Week

What is so interesting about Tango? It is not robot sounding but communicates emotions and feeling quickly and can be programed to grow with the child. Totally amazing!
"He can go into a mode with one push of a button and change that from a regular voice to a whine or shout or a whisper," explained his mother, Lora Ellenson.
And she said they'll adjust the phrases as he gets older, adding typical teen retorts like "I hate you, Mom."
"We've already added 'Dad, you're bugging me,' which is one he loves to hit," Lora said.

I love the name Tango for this communication devise. Tango is an emotional dance with a lot of expression. Life is a dance, a tango dance. To open up a new world of expression is beyond words....
"If there's one thing I want to change in the world, it's to assume someone in a wheelchair has a headline over their head which does not say 'my life is difficult' but which says 'my life is interesting. My life is fun. And in some cases, my life is triumphant,'" Richard Ellenson said.
fr: ABC's Person of the week

No comments:

Post a Comment