Saturday, May 09, 2009

visual crochet ...

I have said before that I am an Amigurumi junkie. I guess it was the perfect storm... First my job was becoming unstable. With that I go for learning something new. My mother's mom crocheted and knitted but I never asked to be taught. I couldn't wrap my mind around being able to use my left hand with my right hand. Huge projects like blankets or clothing didn't intrigue me but the little granny square did leave a hole in my creative heart. Fast forward many years and I discovered knitting looms which took care of the knitting part but I still could not do the granny square. Then this new thing started cropping up in creative blogs - Amigurumi. These small stuffed toys brought me full circle to my childhood where a great friend that was a small stuff puppy that I could hide away easy but bring it out when needed. As an aunt I wanted to learn crochet for the sole purpose of making little friends for little ones. It was a struggle as I self taught through online pictures. I even did the magic ring you tube. I finally did it.

I am learning everything I can and I still haven't made the granny square just yet but will. I did discover a book at the library called Blueprint Crochet. I got it because their was a pattern for a purse. Simple dc circles attached to each other looked easy enough for me. When I finally took a deeper look, I was surprised by the lack of 'normal' instructions of abbreviations! Let me tell you trying to self learn by these abbreviations is quite daunting and set me packing several times. Hey, I am visual and the only way I could pick it up was by still photographs. What Blueprint Crochet is about is the visual pattern instruction. Gone is the abbreviations and in the place is bird like scratches in a pattern. When you look at the bird scratch pattern, you visually see what the finish product looks like. The author who is a visual learner as well pointed out a great thought - if you learn this bird like scratches, you can read patterns from Japan and Russia (etc). It is a universal language. Amazing! I do have one pattern from Japan with this bird like scratches but it has abbreviated instructions so I didn't really look at the pattern. I shall be paying attention!

A thought of mine comes to me that this just might help me design my own thing. However with Amigurumi, I think the best design comes from just trying something since it is mostly about shaping. Outside the Amigurumi world, there are flowers and small things that excite me too. I think here the bird like scratches will come in handy. The author said there was computer programs to aid in making these patterns so you don't have to do it all my hand. She didn't give any names so it will be a google search.

I believe that if I am lucky to teach crochet and pass this fun to another, I will be using both kinds of instructions. I am a huge believer that we all learn in different ways (aka 7 smarts). Teaching just one way leaves out a lot but teaching in several ways, dots begin to connect. Wa-la, you got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment