Tuesday, May 05, 2009

teamwork in the workplace ...

As I was updating my resume, I came to the two words that I have dealt with in my personal life but here they were again in my work life. 'Working alone' & teamwork' are the perps. In my personal life I have realized a problem between the two. I am a single girl living a single life but desperately trying to live a team life. I am always searching ways to be a good wife and trying to work it in my single life. I finally realized that I had one foot in the single life because of course that is reality and the other foot is in a couple-hood w/no mate which was total fantasy on my part. A great word picture would be that you are riding a fence that is going no where. I now have a word for it or a label - it is duplicity. Guess what duplicity means? It is deceitfulness and double dealing! Yikes! I was mortified to see that I had been deceitful with myself.

I am a life learner and I will be working out how to be a good wife but in my single life. I have a relationship with Christ Jesus and I am His Bride. No more duplicity.

Now to my work life. I noticed that I work best on my own without a boss hovering over my every move. In fact I had a piece of that until the they consolidated and I had more boss. I struggle with it very much. Now I do like team ship and always will but I believe that it really doesn't work in the business world as it should. I have not had an example of good teamwork in any of the places that I have worked. It has always been about self rise or the corporation over the group of people that make that corporation run.

A team is about each person bringing their strength to the group and working that strength. However, in the work world there is too much competition and stepping on each other to be better and get the better bucks. When you are not wired to compete, you make a good rug. So when it comes to the resume, what do you put down?! I am smirking because what I would put down with bare bone honesty which would guarantee a paper airplane ride to file thirteen with amazing turbo speed.

Maybe my definition of team for the business world needs to change a little bit. My personal definition for team is working your strengths out for the us. I have made a commitment and feel that this team member is worthy of my devotion and protection. I am always going to seek out their good. Not so good at work when you have to be in a group and you have no choice but the choice to work at this workplace and this workplace should trump any individual rise up the corporate ladder. Ok, I do think I have gone around the mulberry bush a tad too many times!

Well, on my resume I have it as that I am a hard worker who works great alone and likes teamwork. It is as honest as I can get. If they ask about teamwork, I will tell them that a good team is each person contributing their best strength for the workplace. I do believe that is the best teamwork for a business. It may be that I am settling for the good of the corporation and not for the little people that make it up but ultimately for me it comes back to little old me giving my best work as I work unto God and not man. It just might mean that I am 'used' but there is a bigger picture.... God's glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment