Sunday, June 26, 2005

money & your life


    3 little guidelines that will impact your life
    1. 10% tithe to God
    2. keep a sabbath
    3. keep your work clean from vice


on a personal level
I have always grown up with keeping a tithe. True, it isn't hard for me to put aside money for God, but I know I was carried through some hard money times.

When I moved out of my parents home and set up my own residence, I was not sure how I was going to manage. Interesting as I was checking my bank account, I had just enough money to provide food and shelter. No, not much was going into savings, but I was blessed. Then when I lost my job, I was worried that I would have to give up my car and my place to live. As each month passed by and no job, I pinching pennies and noticed that even though my savings was going down it never went past my point of concern. Six months in the manpower job became part time then nine months in it became a full time job. God provided my needs.

I have always grown up with keeping a sabbath. It is a day reserved to going to church and spending time with family. What I cherish most is that my dad does not mow on Sundays. Even though work is good for you, a sabbath is for resting and enjoying it. For me it is knowing what true rest is. Suppose it gives you time to focus on some personal passions. For me it is reading, painting, and writing. I chose what my day of rest looks like to me.

I use to have a job at the mall in a bookstore. It meant I had to work on Sundays and sell playboy. To me this was a vice I did not feel right for me even though I do love books. From this experience I wanted to make sure I moved on and choose a better job suited to my values. I could name a few other vices that I personally would stay away from when it comes to jobs but vices are personal decisions. But if you name a vice that is in your job, it is going to take faith to step away. You will be surprised at how God will reward you for choosing Him over the money. He does own a 'cattle on a thousand hills.' He has rewarded me.


on a more global level
I keep my ear tuned to global issues and global feelings. I heared lashings out about how the US government could do more in the Tsunami Relief. I hear boostings of how this country and that country pledge this amount or that amount. Then I hear how the US citizens gave and I was proud. I have this feeling that European thought is that maybe if the US would give and give until their pockets are dry, their private hope that we would somehow fail or fall into ruin. Americans just cannot do right. Giving is a mystery. What you give, you recieve usually pressed down and overflowing. It is an unmeasureable truth.

Another thing globally that bothers me is the Live 8 and One movement. They are going after the heads of governments to ask for money for Africa whether it is relieve debt or giving more money. Not opposed to helping out Africa and the proverty state it is in. I am moved but only feel the stir to do something when asked with positive energy about it. But why are we asking the governments to provide the money, let us the people make our statement. Why not let the people change the world and our governments through giving? Why not let positive change stir our world?

How about a different look at our world? Social Entrepreneurs is a new concept to change our world. What is a social entrepreneur?
A social entrepreneur identifies and solves social problems on a large scale. Just as business entrepreneurs create and transform whole industries, social entrepreneurs act as the change agents for society, seizing opportunities others miss in order to improve systems, invent and disseminate new approaches and advance sustainable solutions that create social value.

Unlike traditional business entrepreneurs, social entrepreneurs primarily seek to generate "social value" rather than profits. And unlike the majority of non-profit organizations, their work is targeted not only towards immediate, small-scale effects, but sweeping, long-term change.It is someone who sees a need and figures out a formula to help others succeed.


As He looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coin. "I tell you the truth," He said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her proverty put in all she had to live on." Luke 21: 1 - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment