Friday, April 10, 2009

moai + ikigai

I first heard the about the 'ever closing social circle' a few years ago in a discussion about kids and them leaving the nest in the next four years. I had not thought of it like that until I watched my father as his parents died and we began the hard process of dissolving an earthly place of resisdence. Then I began to have thoughts about my future and how I would handle my own parents ... ok enough. I have made an ultimatum with my self, that God has promised today and I will not trip myself up by thinking on the dark side of the future.

In the book called 'Blue Zones' There is talk about moai a Japanese word for having a social network to keep you healthy and alive. I have been wondering about my very small moai and thinking that as we get older how the circle gets smaller and smaller. It will take work to make it bigger...

There is the Japanese word ikigai which means that which gives you purpose and is to help you live longer and better. I can get this word because I love dreams and passions. Dreams and passions light people up and make them alive! When these dreams and passions begin to touch others, the purpose of ours lives increase.

I believe 'moai' and 'ikigai' need to go together. Don't they feed off each other? I love 'It's a Wonderful Life' ever since I first saw it in college and was so moved by tears that I had to hide under the covers so my roommate wouldn't see my tears because it was such a powerful emotional experience to me. Our lives touch others every person we meet. I just don't think we get it....

No comments:

Post a Comment