Wednesday, September 07, 2005

a little history...

Give me your tired, your poor,
your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

~ emme lazsrus

These words are found on the foundation of the Statue of Liberty. Words woven in the fabric of America. I take great pride in these words because I am a dreamer. To dream you need a safe place to nourish your imagination and to take flight. America has been a refuge to many people through the ages.

America now has her own huddled masses, homeless and tempest-tost. These are her refugees. Their homes, what they did for a living, loved ones and pets are broken. Their dreams are gone.

Miss Liberty has turned to face her mighty Mississippi & Gulf shores. There are tears streaming down her face as she whispers a prayer. When she opens her eyes, she sees the masses with lamps of hope held high and arms open wide. A sea of humanity holding each other together. This is her people of the United States. She is proud.

Once again pioneers renewed will dream big dreams. The will make their first steps again here on homeland shores. They will soar again like wings of the eagle.

refuge and refugee come from the latin language.
re = back ; fugere = to flee


... Oh, to be a reflection of God the Great Refuge

3 comments:

  1. Amen.

    "O LORD, you are my God;
    I will exalt you and praise your name...
    You have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in his distress,
    a shelter from the storm
    and a shade from the heat...
    The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces..." Isaiah 25:1,4,8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, you have the right God-Words. This is goooooood. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Steve!!!

    I know how much you love NY. You put your sweat into the very buildings that make up the Big Apple. I enjoy seeing your beloved city through your eyes.

    I, too, am very passionate about my country. Miss Liberty has a special place in my heart because of what she stands for.... I have never seen her so when you pass by her, save a moment for me. =)

    ReplyDelete