Thursday, November 08, 2012

the printed page…

I love books. There is a sacredness to them. They have taken me places far and away. They have been good friends. They have inspired me to change. These books have been so good to me that I hold them in such a way that they look new even if they aren't.

I love words. I just might have been a printer working with the type setting back in the day. But today ink stamps hold my fascination.

However, there is a dilemma! Have you seen book pages taken from their home and then forced into hard labor being folded this way or that making beautiful ornamentation for the home? Or have been seared by ink stamps forever tattooed by images marring the original intent yet not marring beauty?

I have such guilt but such pleasure. I can't think of messing up precious books yet I have this string desire to marry these two off. Ink stamps and printed pages make for a lasting couple.

I have my limits. I won't buy books to 'destroy'. I won't use the books I have… wait, unless the books I have aren't doing what they should.…

I happen to have on such book. It is a small dictionary where the words are too tiny. I found two full grown older and wiser $1 resale replacements so it won't be missed though I think I might shed a tear before it's demise! No, I am really doing it a favor right? It is difficult to use because it doesn't open nicely and isn't comfortable In my hands. It doesn't fit it's job! (I know excuses!)

After moving and trying to contain all my books, I realize I have some paperback books that do not wear their stories well. They just might be on the chopping block as well.

I just might become a book murder yet. So sad but sooooo many possibilities. Just think of the beautiful artwork celebrating the printed page!

No comments:

Post a Comment