Wednesday, February 17, 2010

knotted up ...

A project and a pattern have been pestering my heart.  I wanted a white furry yarn to make this particular Amigurumi.  I must say that I am still learning and there is no Lion Brand store here where I can go in and make swatch from the prospect yarns.  In fact I thought that being able to go in and make up a swatch was just a fancy notion.  However, I have changed thoughts and see how it just might have aided me.

 

I picked up this soft white yarn.  I thought it would make nice fur and it would be soft to cuddle.  What I didn’t look at or even think about was how thin this yarn is and the flick of silver is not good when I am a tight ‘stitcher’.  As I started out I was getting hung up on the silver threads and my hook would catch.  I finally got the head finished and because I don’t like to attach parts, I moved to what I thought was the neck and onto the body.  Nearing completion I looked back and didn’t like some holes that formed in the decreases and then I realize the neck was really the butt.  So I undid the project back to the neck …. but the yarn did not play nice.  It twisted and knotted.  In frustration the scissors came out and yarns were cut.  Good thing yarn is soft so that nothing breaks when you throw it…. {smiles}

 

I tried again using another white thin yarn that I had with the furry yarn but I counted wrong and yes, I had to undo.  Yes, I had another tangled knot and yes, after wasting a couple hours the scissors came out and yes, yarns were cut.  Yes, I threw the yarn to the ground several times. 

 

So I am back to my favorite Caron white yarn and this soft yarn to make a snowball to gauge if I will go this route or not.  I upped the hook size too.  It is hooking better.  It will make this Ami bigger.  It isn’t softer but more firm … not liking that!  I just might forgo the soft yarn altogether and stick to Caron white yarn. Oh my woes…..

 

A side effect to my addiction of Amigurumi is that I MUST have something created within a day or three.  It is a fix that makes me unexplainably happy.  It is a rush of bubbly heat when the face comes to be.  It gives me a fire to keep going and wallow in broken dreams.  So having nothing to show for my work for six days is causing a deflation in my mood.  I think tonight calls for whipping up some small quick cute and adorable whales.  Love them whales!  Easy to make and easy to give away!  Perfect fix!!! {smiles}

 

No comments:

Post a Comment