Sunday, February 28, 2010

for the love of skates ...

As a child I never knew that the modern day Olympics existed until 1992. It was the year after college and with the movie Cutting Edge I was hooked on ice skating and hockey. Paul Wylie was my favorite skater because he was good and because he is a christian. It was a time when the skaters told stories with the music. It seemed I loved artistry of ice skating but I also loved the mental game of hockey as done well by Wayne Gretzky.

Today I don't have a favorite ice skater. It is harder to follow because it like the new scoring system took out the story telling and now it is about the jumps and the moves. I must say that with the Winter Olympics you do get to hear the back stories but I still haven't fallen for any of them. I have disliked greatly a certain mind set coming out of Russia. What bad sportsmanship. But what do expect from Puten. Then there are those countries that put way too much pressure on their athletes. I was so sad as I watched the girl figure skaters get their metals. South Korean winning gold was cool. Canadian winning bronze after her mother died was tearful joy as your heart was happy yet felt deeply for her. But then I really felt heart broken of the Japan winning silver as she really wanted the gold because of her country's pressure on her. Did she truly get to enjoy the moment or was she mad at herself? Grrrr... Then there are skaters who are way to flamboyant where it is about them and not about their sport.... So I have settled into the pair skating and especially the ice dancing. Amid the jumps and spins they can tell a story more easily even if it is the most simplest story of give and take between two people. Funny thing about influence.... last weekend my parents were commenting on they have no interest in any of the skaters. They said that I had no enthusiasm in the new skaters.....

Wellllll, I do have an interest with a skater. He isn't an ice skater nor a hockey player rather he is a speed skater. Yes, it is Apolo Ohno. Short track speed skating is a very wild sport and 'unfair' is the nature of the sport! It is like a demolition derby and horse racing together. It about crashes and who is taken out and who is left standing. Apolo's joy and let be attitude attracts me to the sport and he has made this sport popular. If this is his last year, like ice skating I might turn fickle and lose interest. Funny how it is the peeps that make the sport or break a sport for me.

Ok, today is the day. Gold metal round for hockey. Not wearing much red today. It is about the blue! I am sorry but big brother Canada does not own the rights! (I know I should live in Minnesota!) I think USA boys are young and have a lot of heart going into this. I am hoping to watch the game this afternoon as I go over to the parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment