Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Model Wife

by Oswald J Smith

She was like a clinging vine,
He was bold and brave;
She was happy in his love
For herself she gave.

She was not a suffragette,
Self-sufficient? No!
She had found him all her world
For she loved him so.

Never empty were his arms,
She was always there;
When he needed her the most
He was then her care.

All she had she freely gave
For she was his own;
Love had come and made them one,
They were not alone.

She completely filled his world
For she was his wife;
No one else could steal his love,
She became his life.

Other pleasures had she none,
He was more than all;
Nothing ever interfered,
She was at his call.

When children came, her love
Still remained the same;
They could never take his place
Though they bore his name.

He was with her night and day
For he held her dear;
She was never satisfied
Unless he was near.

He was gentle, kind, and true,
She had won his heart;
Never had she cause to fear
For she did her part.

Arguments she did not use
Stronger where her charms;
He could never disagree
Lying in her arms.

What a welcome she bestowed
When he'd been away!
Tender were the words she spoke,
Nothing to dismay.


Such a marriage could not fail,
God had shown her how;
Without her he could not live,
She had kept her vow.

Down the path of life they'll go,
Walking hand in hand;
Guided by a Father's love
To the better land.

Eugene, 1952


Hmmmm, lately I've been thinking of how to be if a marriage went all quiet and distant. How would I respond? Would I become desprate and depressed? Would the self-growth I have now become withered and dried up? Would all my dreams of a great marriage and a great love vanish? Or could there still be a way for me to florish because God is MY First Love, MY Husbandman, and MY Great Lover of my soul? Could I be a great partner and lover?

I know I could never knowing enter into a partnership with a distant man, but if the marriage got onto this path, I would be sad but I feel with God-Alone He could guide to be the best lover possible yet remain intact and ever-growing in Him. I must always remind myself that I am not defined by other's bad moods or even their good ones. I am defined by my seeking and response to God's love. Am I falling deeper in love with God? That is where it all wrapped up...

No comments:

Post a Comment