Friday, August 17, 2007

first cork & first agave ...

I have tried wines in my past but have been very tentative. Then last Christmas and New Years, I thought I would try a glass of Riesling. Ok honestly here, I chose it because it came in 4 tiny cute BLUE bottles, but my massive headaches came back! Wines do not list their contents and I've had many wine people say there is no sugar in them. Well, something was in it!

I happened down the juice isle last Friday (8/10) for some reason. A bottle stood out with its sale ticket. I picked it up. It was a bottle of wine that was 'dewined'. Sauder has this 'fre' line of wine. They have a way to take the alcohol out! This bottle had a listing of ingredients. No sugar! I debated a bit but the bottle ended up in the cart.

When I got it home, I realized it had a cork! Oh no! I never got a cork out of a bottle before. I had visions of breaking the bottle or the corking taking flight (not good with a house full of glass) or cutting myself with glass shards. All I had was a cork screw on a pocket knife and the strength of a very light weight girl. I tried. It wasn't moving. I took the cork screw out and put it back in. I tried again. No movement. Argh. Is it getting hot in here? Hmm, got an idea. Should I try it? What if I flip backwards on my backside with the bottle tipping over and breaking? I am imagining the dweller below me ducking for cover with the noisy thud from upstairs! Oh, I am going to try. I take the bottle over to a rug and tucked my feet around the bottle. I then pulled as hard as I could and as easy as I could. SUCCESS! Cork came out easy. Bottle did not budge with my nibble feet holding them in place. I remained upright. No loud crashes.

I got a cork screw that helps in easing out the cork. I still might use the level of the floor to help.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


I have been searching for agave (8/3). I call it 'cactus honey'. The GI content is less then honey. It would be a great substitute for my sugar allergy. I know I could find it in a health food store but hadn't found the time or made the time to go to one. Through word of mouth, a local store had it. I went and got it. It is a very light taste compared to the heavier taste of honey. I really haven't made anything with it. To warm here to bake at the moment. I have put it the chilly smoothies. I will use it sparingly. It is about twice as much as honey. Bummer...

No comments:

Post a Comment