Tuesday, June 19, 2007

top learning tool...

After going to college to study English Education, the real reason that I did not know then but know now is that I wanted to get how I learn as well as how others learn and I wanted to write. Funny how I learned what I really wanted to learn in the years following formal classroom time.

Let me sure one of biggest insights into learning. In my book it is the number one rule. Listen up. To give yourself the best environment for your brain to capture everything you are learning no matter your learning style, you must have a safe and positive feelings as a framework. Maybe encouragement is the word I am looking for.

I know you will not always be afforded good feedback. It has been something that has been a thorn in my side ever since my band teacher would humiliate me in front of others only because I would freeze up being shy and singled out. When I went boo hooing to Dad, he said that the band teacher thought I had talent and wanted me to live up to it. What Dad wanted me to do was get that moxie up 'I'll show you' bit on. Well, true as an adult I have done used 'I'll show you bit' but I really shine when I am fed good encouragement in safety.

I will always believe that the top rule in teaching or coaching or mentoring is keep the environment safe. Be a greenhouse. Then you can introduce the storms.

If you are a student and all you have are storms, know it is a part of life. However, teach yourself. Be kind and generous to yourself. When you do so, learning come quicker and deeper. Declare victory and celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment