Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Stroke of Insight ...

I was listening to Jill Bolte Taylor, a brain doc, describe her experience of a stroke and I was hooked the minute she explained the going ons of her brain! When you ask me what my favorite body part in general, it would be the brain! I love how I learn and how you learn. I am a big believer on doing your passions and dreams. I know without a doubt that our strength can be found in the passions and dreams we harbor in our little red hearts. What do you get excited about? Yup, you will answer with your passions and dreams. So that is why I am so intrigued by the brain. Plus, it doesn't help that I live too deeply within my own!

Back to Dr. Jill and her stroke ...
What fascinated me the most was when she told about how the stroke was shutting down the left side of her brain where all the math and language was located. It took her four hours to get help and she told each long and drawn out detail of how her brain was attempting to perceive the world. Then after she made it the hospital, she took you through what her right brain was picking up and it was ENERGY people where giving off around her. She wanted the good energy because she knew it was safe and that even if she couldn't understand their language, she still knew that good energy/tones meant they cared about her. The other huge insight for me was that because of the energy she was picking up, she had a choice. She could come out or she could retreat to the inside where she was experience bliss. Because her left brain was in a puddle of blood and out of the loop, no agenda's or outside world things were pressing in on her. The to-do list was no longer functioning. She could just be happy in this state of being. Wow! This really has got me thinking... so when dealing with elevated anxiety within, can I shut down the left brain to-do and must do lists? Can I begin to focus on just being in the moment? Well, as I deal with a very stressful time at work these days, I found myself trying to relax my frazzled self as I am trying to get this huge work load passed through to payment. I slowed down making sure to focus on getting my fingers into a rhythm instead of speed. I know it effects the accuracy and that is more important key to to save precious time. There is something here that I must keep!

(Dr. Jill also said of her stroke as a wound and that she wasn't stupid. Hmm! I like this! I couldn't help but think of traumatic brain injuries!)

Dr. Jill wrote a book that I must find and read. --> ''The Stroke of Insight''
*

No comments:

Post a Comment