Saturday, October 06, 2007

darkside of friendships ...

Today I am going there. Where? To the dark side of friendships. I love quotes. You know that big Barlett's quote book? I found the page that had friendships and photocopied them. I starred them my favorites and kept them in a notebook. I think I did that way back in college. Since then when I worked in a bookstore I was able to purchase my own weighted copy of Barlett's quote book! Last night I happened upon my photocopied quotes... What I was drawn to where the ones NOT starred - the ones that I absolutely felt are way off based and not worthy of notice... until now after decades of friendships come and gone have colored my views. Lets see a few!

'The first tempation, upon meeting an old friend after many years, is always to - look the other way.' UGO BETTI
Old friend after many years apart? Yikes. My young soul would not have had many years in between {sighs}. Well, I do believe tis true that you want to look away. More for me I would be beating down his chest for a reason why the space between us. Yet, I would want to look deeply into his soul and find the old him, find the fresh scars and old wounds, and delight in his dreams accomplished and new breaths he wants to take. It is rediscovery that is the best choice...

'Friendship [n] a ship big enough to carry two in fair weather, but only one in foul.'AMBROSE BIERCE
I don't like this one but I live in a world that most feel this true. I cannot believe how many people out there HIDE! They never ever truly share! I could never figure this out and don't want to. I still share way to much and still have people reject me. Friendship is for the bad weather! ARgh! I am so glad I have a FOREVER FRIEND!

'Friendship is like money, easier made than kept.' SAMUEL BUTLER
I understand the how insane it is to keep friends. The amount in my empty wallet equals the amount of friends. I don't seek friends. I let them come to me. I believe friendship is like money in the fact that it is hard to make and keep.

'It's no good trying to keep up old friendships. It's painful for both sides. The fact is, one grows out of people , and the only thing is to face it.W. SOMERSET MAUGHAM
Whoa! I agree to this statement only in the fact of those 'friends' that you create in the workplace or whatever place you find yourself in, you just might move on and outgrow. But deep friendships are simply 'throw-aways'? Wow! Hate this one. Not my view but again I live a world full of this.

/// the kicker ///:
'We need new friends; some of us are cannibals who have eaten their old friends up; others must have ever-renewed audiences before whom to re-enact the ideal version of their lives.'LOGAN PEARALL SMITH
Remind me never to be friends with this logan guy. I know this is a view of people. Very sad indeed and because of this pain people feel is spewed outwardly on the rest of us.

So all of this uck is very dark and my young soul would not have withstood such a lurking place. I am stronger now. Will always hate the darkside of friendships but maybe my new outlook will bring more light and a better soft place to land. Knowing what you are up against, helps you see others with the veil pulled back. Counterdictory to say, but easier to love them...

No comments:

Post a Comment