Monday, July 16, 2007

Auslan ...

I love language and I have dabbled in sign language. I have worked with severe needs high school aged kids and used some signs so they could communicate. I also feel it is important to use baby sign and if I taught ESL (English as a Second Language), I would be using some signs to teach with too. I feel signing is a great learning tool for all and not just for the deaf.

Like any language there are going to be different dialects, accents, and words used that aren't used in other places. I just discovered Auslan - the Aussie version of sign. I see there is a bit of controversy and the schools are switching to Auslan from signed English. I am not sure what it means but I kinda think parents must teach what they want their children to know and not just depend on the school system. I know my own opinion and hard to do with such busy schedules....

No comments:

Post a Comment