Monday, July 20, 2009

footprints on the moon ...

Once upon an Sunday evening 40 years ago, did a young couple of 3 years holding a baby of 4 months go outside to view the moon that was the topic of the day because man made footprints up there? Did they just gaze into the starry sky leaving each other to their thoughts or did they speak in hush tones about the excitement? Did they feel that this was a turn for the better since there seemed to be such turmoil over Vietnam or did that not really matter because they lived in the Midwest? Did they wonder what possibilities there would be for their little daughter quietly sleeping in their arms that night? Did they wonder what the world would be like for their little one to grow up in?

I have always been intrigued by man walking on the moon and am proud to have been born in that year. I love looking at the pictures of my parents and me back then. It seemed like a softer time in middle America compared to the coasts. Soft sepia memories for sure! I haven't asked my parents about their memories or feelings about that night, I probably will but maybe it should be left to my own imagination of what I would have felt if I had been looking up in the night sky in a more grown up stage instead of the softly sleeping in my parents arms on that starry night long ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment