Saturday, June 20, 2009

to truly touch ...

I watched City of Angels last night and no, I am not going to go off on the angels bit. However, I am going to have to go off on touch. I am probably going to do a big no no here by using an earthy movie to prove a Kingdom value. It is to put you in my shoes and hopefully see through my eyes...

I developed a considerable relationship. We talked about what moved us. What touches me deeply is words. For this other person it was touch. I felt at a disadvantage because there were many miles of dirt and ocean between us and I wasn't that into touch but was willing to learn. As time progress my heart observed that this person seemed to lack trust but I didn't know how to speak up about it. Now as I look back, this person never allowed me to touch in a non-physical way and there has to be that option open!

Maybe it is the empathy that is so deep seated with me but people are so numb. (I too have to watch my numbness and nip it when it arises). This movie is really about feeling the pain and the beauty and not to waste it by just surviving. Note the pear. Seth had to keep on living and he went into the grocery store and so intent on filling the basket with pears. He could not get enough. He wanted what was and he needed to keep feeling. It was his way of keeping in touch with Maggie who died.

For me I can't get enough of all things Australia. My ears always perk up when I here an accent. Are they pushing the 'a' and the 'r' up through the nose? There is this story of a white haired man on George St in Sydney who use to pass out tracks. Then there are the stories of Australia. This white haired man has touched so many lives that my eyes tear up because I wonder how 'my' person is doing spiritually. Then just yesterday another guy named Ken with 'Answers in Genesis' had the perfect Ozzy accent and I was so into his story of faith. Then the OutBack Steakhouse commercials! Then there are the PBS specials on Australia and I am there soaking up every detail. It is me filling up on the 'pears'. It is me touching and feeling - trying to fill up on that person.

I wept as I talked to God. I have the a blue wooden sign in my living room. It reads 'Its a Wonderful Life.' I am all about TOUCH. Our lives touch other lives but we are so blind to it. It is time to pull back the veil and see just below the surface. It is about getting inside the other's shoes. It is listening and feeling. It is not about being so caught up with just our own selves and lives. I know this person's hangs ups and frustrations. And I think these things has caused numbness and there was no way for me to touch and move this person. So that leaves out the question if this person ever thinks of me... I keep praying for a joy evasion on this person life. This is the one thing I know to touch even if I won't know on earth.

Sighs... It is my soapbox and just another thing that ostracizes me from others... the glazing in eyes as I wax on and on about depth...

If touch is your love language, how do let others touch you in a non-physical way?
If you don't allow someone in on your adventure, how can you end up in the same place?
If you don't let someone in your worse, how can you really know they love you?

What moves you? What is your love language? How can you involve another to what moves you? Shouldn't gratitude involve all your senses?

Now that is something to try -
Involve your senses (even your 6th) in gratitude. Be shaken. Be stirred. Be impassioned. I think your knees will weaken and you will find yourself kneeling before the Awesome God...

No comments:

Post a Comment