Tuesday, June 09, 2009

to keep vs to discard ...

'A season for everything' ... a time to keep and a time to discard - This has gotten me into a real think tank again. I thought I was ok with it but it is a thorn that keeps poking me. I am a keeper hence the name I keep. At the beginning of this blog I had been discarded and it provoked me. I have always been a keeper. Yes, I know I need to discard some things around the home but what really gets the anger flowing through me is when we discard people and relationships. Now don't think that I haven't done my fair share of discarding. I have discarded a relationship that was hindering my walk with God and it wasn't taken lightly. For the most part I tend to keep and there is the issue of holding my hands too tightly.

Father Abraham had to learn the season of discarding by keeping his hands open and offering up Isaac to God in a sacrifice. When Abraham was willing to do so even in much pain, his hands hand were empty so he could hold onto the God-Given promise of the son and generations that numbered the stars to follow. I have dealt with the questions of have I kept my hands open and allowed God the gift He gave me. I know I failed and I wonder if even with the gift gone, are my hands still open?

A modern day story has me wondering about how to know if it is the season to keep or to discard. A son taken by a native Brazilian mother back to her home country and then divorced her husband. She remarried and then later died. The father has been trying to get his son back home but the mother's family is holding on very tightly.

Shouldn't a father go after his son and never give up? How far does he go? Should he give up and if so when? When do you do all you can and when do you let God handle it? What does it mean to let go? Are you discarding if you let go? Or can discarding be a form of empty the hands so you have room to hold on to God's Almighty Hand?

Do not answer the questions to quickly or even at all. This is too hard to fathom. It is too huge for my heart and mind. I am left to wondering if the seasons of keep and of discard are similar in the fact that the main question to ask oneself is what will honor God? Even so, the season to keep and the season of discard is a ripping of the heart....

don't speak ... just listen...

No comments:

Post a Comment