Saturday, July 19, 2008

Batman: The Dark Knight ...

Should you go and see this movie? If you see it, aren't you condoning the Hollywood love affair with actors who can disappear within the role? What happens when they can't get out of the darkness? In the Joker's prolific words: 'Insanity only takes a push.' How can Hollywood get away with believing actors can be something they are not and give awards out for it? Can you act out another person and still come out of it unchanged or at least changed for the better? If you decide to go, go with discernment. This isn't just a surface movie. It is deep and dark. It is not to be taken lightly as the row of teenage boys beside me did when all they could do was laugh at the Joker and his explosive acts. If you see the movie in the way you should see it, you should leave the theater in a dark pensive mood. If you go and see this as a believer, there is a dawn after the darkest night.

My favorite movie moment in this piece was when Bruce Wayne is sitting in his high rise suite looking out over the city. He is still wearing his bat suit minus the head gear. This is after he made the choice between saving Mr. Dent or saving his love, Rachel. He went after Mr. Dent while the others went after Rachel. All that was left of Rachel was the coin now with a light colored head and a dark colored head. Bruce is pensive. His Butler comes in with the breakfast tray containing the goodbye letter from Rachel. Bruce looks up and says that he feels sorry for Dent because Rachel said that she would wait for him to finish being Batman. Here is where I would jump in and rewrite the story only because I would choose to wait for Batman with no eyes for any other. But Batman/Bruce would have to know to that a girl is a flower and will wilt. If I was the Keeper (reference to the first movie) the Finder must keep. I would put up with his act of being a playboy as the front to save the identity of Batman if only he would keep true and keep me nourished in his love. Every man is on some adventure and the girl just wants to belong and to be part of the adventure. Every hero needs a feminine-wing-woman to fight for and not just a butler and Mr. Fox. Keep her. Do not abandon!!! Sorry. I had to off road here. {smiles}

I am an English Major and pretty visual too. So I get off on diving into the story (esp movies) and see the parallels, motifs, layers, and connecting it to my life and my faith. The first movie (Batman) didn't disappoint so I figured the second wouldn't either. I was right. If anything, please understand what I felt as I left the movie. ~Every soul is in a fight of good and evil. We have a Savior! Will you be a Message Destroyer or a Message Bearer? ~ What was a heart moving moment was when Detective asks Batman what he should do and say about Mr. Dent since he failed the good and killed five in vengeance. Batman used Mr. Dent's prolific words: " 'You die a hero or you see yourself become the villain.' You keep Mr. Dent's reputation in tact and I will take on his evil. Say that Batman did it." I have a Batman! Jesus Christ has taken every wrong I have done and shouldered it for me. He isn't of flesh either! He is the Almighty!!!! Another moment attached to this one is that the young son of the Detective asked his father why they were going after Batman. The Detective says that have to chase Batman. Are you chasing Batman? If you catch him what will you do? Crucify Him or Embrace Him?

1 comment:

  1. I happened upon a newspaper article about a woman who took her child to see Batman! Good grief! She was saying that if she would have know all the graphic violence in the movie she would not have taken her child. Come on! I even saw a neighbor at the movies with his child who probably not even old enough to go to school! How horrid! This is coming from a girl who had nightmares from an old black and white movie about the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

    Where have you been hiding? The first Batman was more believable meaning you would have thought there was a real Gothem here in the US. It was dark and deep. But here is the clincher - the previews are showing a lot of blowing up buildings! Don't you think that bit is too much for a child? YES! The violence is NOT just about blowing up buildings because there is extreme violence done to PEOPLE! So much so that an adult could be seeing these gory visions for a while or it just might effect your stomach.

    This is a movie that you need to be prepared for as a parent. I would not let any child period and if it was my teenager, there would be a huge discussion. If you could rate this movie a triple R, I would.

    ReplyDelete