Saturday, February 13, 2016

well wishers...

Taking a long weekend off garners a lot of questions to what you are doing or just simply 'have a great weekend off having fun.'  When you give the reason that your Dad is having heart valve replacement surgery, you are smothered in 'I will be sending you good thoughts' or more frequently used 'sending you good vibes.'  Others will say good luck.  Some will add that they will send prayers.  It makes me sad.  

I was about to have a little tweet rant about good thoughts, good vibes, and good lucks when I stopped because one person in particular could have by chance read and not fully understand.  She needs Jesus not a turn off.  Then as I was processing these pale empty well wishes, I released prayers requesting what you want to happen can be just as empty as these other well wishes.  

There are two types of prayers.  One that comes from fruit bearing believers.  One that are empty from unbelievers or just said as a lame way of wishing someone well.  With a serious surgery it is a very uncomfortable place.  What do you say?  Poor unbelievers!  My eyes speak and they probably were quite blank or stark when people gave their well wishes.  I know Jesus.  I know He isn't a candy dispenser.  I know His Wishes might be contrary to my own and would that devastate me?

I begun to have a serious think.  Why pray?  What is its purpose?  Don't freak out!  It is quite healthy for believers to challenge Biblical foundations every once in a while to see if things will hold up or if you need a little bit of fortifacation.  What did His Word say about the prayers of the righteous?  Let's find out!  

James 5:16 "... The effective fervent prayer of the righteous a avails much."

What is effective? Capable.  Successful.  Powerful.  Efficient.  Useful.  

But what does that mean Biblically?  It does NOT mean a prayer that goes my way is effective or successful.  It does mean prayer that shows off God's Glory is successful and effective to calm a heart in storm.  I think one must take time to ask if their prayer is effective...  I have had times when I have come away from prayer more frustrated and agitated than helped.  I hadn't left it in His Strong Hands.  It is usually when someone has made choices that I personally think is wrong and dragging their precious cargo into the fray.  Can I pray a more effective prayer?  God's Promises.  That is the answer.  Stop relying on my feelings and truly engage my faith.  Am I going to trust and obey?  Am I going to watch and wait, yielded and still?  It is the only way to have Victory in Jesus.  

What is fervent?  Keen.  Ardent. Eager. Passionate. Zealous. Fanatical.  

Whoa!  Not hard to understand that!!  Pretty straight forward!  

What is avails?  Benefits.  Helpful.  Useful.  

No, there is no 'you're prayers will be answered.'  So does prayer help the situation or help me or the does it help the person I am praying for?  I am thinking no, it doesn't help the situation in most cases.... !  It should help me or the person I am praying for.  Alas, we shall know more by and by and most definitely in Heaven. 

Proverbs 15:29 "... the Lord hears the prayer of the righteous."

What strikes me is that the Lord hears.  How often do we hear the Lord?   Do we listen as He listens?  Do we hear as He hears?  

Both verses are about our communication skills.  It is a give and take.  How often is it just one sided?  Am I doing all the talking?  Am I "talking back" Scripture?  Am I believing what God has declared in His Word?

I have thought through and yet there will be more thinking to do. For now though --

Why pray?  What's it's purpose?  Shouldn't prayer condition the heart and mind in God-Confidence?
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment