Sunday, November 09, 2014

choose life or death ...

Last weekend two women who were battling cancer made a choice.  One decided to take matters in her own hands and end her life before cancer could.  The other young woman choose to make a goal and met it before cancer could.  

My purpose here is to record my observation and also to encourage faith when challenged by pain and suffering.  I'm far from being callous.  Every single human would never choose pain or suffering and every single human wants to be in control.  I've had dark days and I've had days when I've cried out to my Heavenly Father asking what my purpose is on this earth.  Ok, I've not had to walk the shadow of death or bore the pain of Job.  So maybe I should not speak ever so boldly or maybe I should...

As the news of these two women where annouced on Monday, it was so blantently obvious.  My heart sunk and I turned away in disgust as I heard the one woman ended her life because she didn't want her live her life in a deteriorated  state.  Too easy.  Too cowardly.  Then the news turned to the young woman who is battling brain cancer.  She too knows her days are numbered and her biggest wish was to play in her first college basketball game.  She can't really practice like the other girls anymore and she cannot run the court to make the basket but her fighting spirit is contagious.  Her school as well as the opposing school decided to move up the first game so she could play.  As they set up for her to make the first basket and the last basket of the game, every heart of the fans and of that of the whole nation were bursting with deep emotion welling up in the eyes.  Very courageous.  Very moving.

It seems very ironic that both women where in the news at the same time.  Seems a very obvious contrast and answer to a very tough question.  No, I do not know the spiritual condition of their hearts but I could not help to be moved and put down a peg or two.  Are you willing to let the Creator of Life decide how and when it is your time to die?  Are you going to face the end with His Light on your face or are you going to turn away?   Pain and suffering can darken our faith.  Will you let it?

Have you experienced something tough that initially would never have chosen but when you  gotten through you would never go back to change it?  Those 'throughs' are the perfecting of our character. It is usable silver minus the dross for the Silversmith. 

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!  I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and to be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on the account of me. Philippians 1:21–26

No comments:

Post a Comment