Saturday, July 23, 2011

love an old book ...

A favorite thing for me to do on Saturday is to visit the local church second hand store. One of my favorite sections to browse besides the glass is the books. A favorite rare find is to snag an old book.

A truly old book usually has a blue or a brown hardback cover and is small enough that it fits nicely in my hand. It is still sturdy and opens itself to lie flat when you study its contents. There is no stiff awkward introduction. It is amiable like an old friend waiting for your visit.

I found such an old friend when I saw Halley's Bible Handbook for just $1. I brought it home.  It felt good in my hands.  That got me to thinking about how I favor these old books best.  You don't have to treat with care in order not to break the binding but I will be careful just because that is how I am with books.  They also make you wonder who had them before you and what treasure they found in them.  Now resting in my care I can't wait to touch and discover my own treasures.  Who needs the digital books?

No comments:

Post a Comment