Thursday, August 10, 2006

life is a game ...

To some life is about being a good self manager making sure you keep pearls from swine. To some it is about driving to the next success no matter who you mow down. To some it is navigating a big ship avoiding the rocks and keeping the course until you reach safe harbor. All examples of how one might conduct oneself in life, but here I am going to commit a 'no-no'. Life is game! Yup, I said it but let me explain...

1. How you set the rules determines how you will play.
2. You get to set the rules and the objectives.
- note - Setting the rules does NOT mean you control the game rather you can only control yourself.
3. Be prepared. You need to set up game plans for the obstacles or twists life will have for you.

This concept came to me as I began to learn the games of gin and of dominos from a long time game player. His childhood was filled with different kinds of card games. It was want they did as a family. He would teach me strategy but so often he would beat me. He would 'predict' what cards or dominos I had and I would be floored! Then he told me his secret. He knew the deck forward and backwards. I began to realize what I truly missed out in my childhood.

I have often felt so naive in life. It is like everyone is a player and I can no idea how. However, I am changing my tune. As war and terror have dominated my world, as reality shows have envaded the tv, I realize that I need to rethink. I must think out different strategies for several different possible outcomes so that I can be pick the higher road and not be played. It is very important to not play into other's hand nor have circumstances beat you down.

You must be self-controlled. You must know who you are. You must know your weaknesses and your strengths. You must know your dreams and your passions. You must know your purpose for this life. You must know what brings you happiness/joy. You must do what is healthy for you body, mind, heart, and soul. You must know what is wind beneath your wings. You must know how you want to play the game of life.

. ie .

I am a child of the King.
He gave His Son to die for me.
I believe & have confessed.
My name is written in His nail-scarred hands.
I choose to walk in His Light and in His Peace.
I am a child of the King.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I am bubbly shy. I am a sensitive. I am creative. I am a fighter. I am tenacious. I am visual and word smart. I am a painter of glass. I am a writer. I am a girl and a woman.

My weakness is a small bit of attention. My weakness is being nice. I need to be nice without giving away the pearls to swine. I need to protect myself from being too alone before the hunger of attention overtakes me.

My strength is growing through the fullness of my shy personality and enabling others to be comfortable with me. My strength is my listening ability. My strength is delighting in all the good gifts God gives me. My strength is my loyality.

My purpose is to bring beauty to this world and compassion.

My dreams and passion is painting and writing.

I long to keep titus 3:2 daily and walk in the Spirit. This is a struggle but I am learning daily.


These are my rules to the game of life I want to lead. Playing the game of life is really about controlling your own mind set and thinking out the different ways you can engage life and pick the higher road. I have been more mindful of strategy ... bear with me as I try map out what is bubbling up in me ...

No comments:

Post a Comment