Thursday, August 10, 2006

eating out w/ food allergies ...

For the 11 million Americans living with food allergies, dining out, whether at a restaurant or a friend's home, can cause more problems than it's worth. Unless you're standing over the chef in the kitchen, the fact is you have no guarantee that the food or foods to which you're allergic won't end up on your plate.

Let's face it: Food plays an irreplaceable role in our social lives.

If you're heading to a restaurant, call ahead and speak to the manager and/or chef. "Let them know you may need to bring a few food items to supplement or enhance your meal," says Debra Indorato, RD, LDN, a Virginia-based nutrition consultant. Ask the waiter questions about how the food is prepared. "Knowing hidden sources of your allergen, such as foods fried in shared oils or nuts added to crumb toppings, can help determine what questions to ask," Indorato says.

Before going to a friend's house where food will be served, "let your friend know about your allergies as early as possible, and offer to bring some tolerated foods with you," Indorato says. Give your friend specific examples of foods to avoid.

The best way to determine if any food is safe is by looking at the label every time. The manufacturer could have changed the formula or ingredients since the last time you purchased it.
fr: article by Laine Williams

Uhhhmmmmm, I can live in my own home with my 36 food allergies but is very difficult to get others to support your style of eating. Either they exclude you or you feel bad because they feel bad. It has been a learning experience to make others feel comfortable with my new food habits. I am always thinking ahead .. how do I carry my 'brown bag' without drawing attention to myself. I am still learning... I won't go back to the extreme headaches. Once you find that freedom you won't go back.

mad chow : pumpkin bump
mad chow : cc: headaches

No comments:

Post a Comment